Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Have I changed as a reader throughout this semester???


That is the great question and I believe I have an even greater answer. YES! Coming into this semester, I had preconceived notions about certain ethnic and social classes. Through the many class readings, in particularly the readings of Compton-Lilly, I have come to see that I was pre-judging people and students in general. I have realized that I need to begin to step back and not judge a student and think that they are automatically not smart or do not come from a family that thinks education is important. My reading of people has definitely changed and I now notice myself truly trying to get to know people a little bit more before making any judgements on them.


In addition, I have learned to look at everything around me with a new, critical lens. The Stephanie Jones and Hilary Janks articles truly opened my eyes to this. I found that almost everything in our surroundings can be questioned or tilted to one certain perspective. Knowing this, it is my job as a future educator to impart this knowledge onto my students. We must begin to view things critically and included in that critical lens belongs the word and the world...

1 comment:

4m said...

Good, I also learned so much from reading Jones and Janks.