Sunday, June 15, 2008

Active Listening Activity


I would like to comment on one of our recent small group activity entitled “Active Listening Exercise” and how I can use this in my own classroom as well as why I think it is important.

Ways to use this in my own future classroom:

1- This is a wonderful tool for students to learn about different perspectives. By having them each discuss the same point written on the page, they will be able to see how their opinion or view on the topic at hand may be the same or different than their partner’s perspective.

2- It is a great activity to hone in on listening skills! For example, there are many times during a class period when a student will raise his or her hand and repeat exactly what another student has just said simply because he or she was not listening. This exercise will focus on truly listening to what someone has to say since they have to repeat it back.


3- This activity can help those students that are not comfortable speaking to large crowds practice their speaking skills in a non-threatening way. Since they will only be discussing their opinions to one person, many students will feel more comfortable speaking whereas they would most likely not participate if this were a large classroom discussion.

I think this skill of being an active listener is an extremely important part of becoming a well-rounded student. Many students find it hard to focus on what their peers are saying or feel that it is not important to listen, but this activity shows that listening is important, crucial and necessary in order to obtain information.

1 comment:

4m said...

Some activities are so simple yet effective. I believe this is one. Many teachers have trouble with it.