Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sharing Stories, Cultural Treasures


For our class exercise on sharing stories and cultural treasures, I showed a pamphlet from New York Road Runners. This pamphlet was more of representation of the part that running plays in my life. From a very young age I have always used running or other sports as my life “equalizer.” After a long, stressful day of work, a personal problem, or just to enjoy the weather, I have always been able to come back from a workout with a clearer mind. I find that I can face problems or situations with a more rational outlook and that a problem that might have seemed like the worst thing in the world, after a run, really is not.

In looking at my family and the role that they have played in fostering this aspect of my life, I noticed that the majority of my family all enjoy athletic activities. Growing up, quality time with my parents was spent outdoors, on sports fields, and hitting the pavement. It was our way of bonding and to this day, still is. These are activities that I will carry on to my children and so on and the enjoyment and relief that I get out of these activities will hopefully be as beneficial for them as it was for me.

No comments: