Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My First Experiences with Reading the World


Growing up on Long Island, my most vivid memories are those that took place at the beach. Every summer, my family and I would go to Atlantic Beach Club where many of our family friends also went. I remember getting out of our station wagon, checking in, running to our cabana, dropping my beach bag, grabbing my friends and then skipping off for the day, never looking back.

One activity that I now look back upon frequently with my friend Amanda was our “singing duo.” The two of us would stand near the parking lot with brushes turned upside down in our hands and sing every Mariah Carey and Debbie Gibson song that we knew the words to in front of all the guests driving into the beach club. We came up with a myriad of choreographed dances and truly belted these songs out for anyone who would watch and listen. Reflecting upon this activity always brings up the feelings of embarrassment and awe. How can we have done that in front of all those people considering we had the worst voices ever? Conversely, I am in awe at the fact that I did once have the courage to do that without even second guessing it!

Other activities that I remember include using soap and water to make quicksand on the beach, manhunt at night, swimming in the ocean with my dad, eating toasted Ellio’s with my sister on beach chairs, watching my little brother run around in just diapers with popsicle all over his face, and never wanting to leave. This time of my life was heavily documented through pictures, video tapes, and discussions with my family and lifelong friends that I made at the beach.

1 comment:

4m said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing these memories.